Closing Date: 31 July, 2020
This role is responsible for performing general laboratory assistant duties in a medical laboratory.
- Perform specimen registration procedures; receive, sort and refer (where applicable)
- Ensure specimens collected and received are documented or managed properly before analysis; verify and validate information on LIS against specimens received and tests requested
- Liaise with the Clinical Associates (CAs) and other clinical staff regarding errors made during identification and registration of patient and specimen details
- Perform tasks in support of the analytical processes (eg centrifugation and separation of serum/plasma, and loading of instruments)
- Dispose of specimens and laboratory waste in accordance with SOPs and relevant legislation
- Perform, evaluate, and document quality control data and assure that patient results are dispatched to appropriate order sites (referral laboratories, clinics, wards)
- Ensure good and safe working environment in the laboratory
- Assist with inventory management of supplies and assure that laboratory areas remain stocked with needed supplies
- Respond to customer inquiries about laboratory results
- Participate in in-service education programs
- Maintain confidentiality of patients, families and staff information
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the supervisor and /or senior staff members
- Matric certificate
- The Certificate in Laboratory Assistance (NQF level 3) or equivalent
- Registered with the country Health professional institution or body as a Laboratory Assistant
- Experience working in a Medical Laboratory environment
- Advanced knowledge of biology and health
- Proven experience/knowledge working with various medical equipment and tools
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Please Note: This is a 1 Year Fixed Term Contract
Who we are
We aim to lead the industry by pursuing ever safer and more responsible ways of working, demonstrating integrity and showing care and respect for people and the planet. That means we are constantly seeking new opportunities to mine and process our products sustainably, using less water, less energy and more precise extraction technologies. As the custodians of coal and other precious natural resources – diamonds (through De Beers), copper, platinum and other precious metals, iron ore and nickel – our extraordinary teams work safely and collaboratively, with the utmost consideration for local communities, our customers and the world at large.
What we offer
When you join Anglo American, you can expect to enjoy a competitive salary and benefits package. But more than this, you’ll find yourself in an environment where the opportunities for learning and growth are second to none. From technical training to leadership programs, we bring out the best in our people. There are plenty of opportunities to move onwards and upwards too. We’re a large, successful multinational company – and we’re still growing all the time.
How we are committed to your safety
Nothing is more important to us than ensuring you return home safely after a day’s work. To make that happen, we have the most rigorous safety standards in the industry. Not only that, we’re also continually investing in new technologies – from drones to data analytics – that are helping to make mining safer.
Inclusion & Diversity
We are committed to promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace where we value and respect every colleague for who they are. We provide equality of opportunity to enable everyone to fulfill their potential.