closing date is on 28.02.2020.
This advert is open for application by external applicants.
Equity Statement :Preference will be given to suitably qualified Applicants who are members of the
designated groups in line with the Employment Equity Plan and Targets of the Organisation/Operating
Division. ( Females and People with disability are encouraged to apply for the position)
Applicants that are interested in applying for any of the advertised positions must apply by registering on the Careers section of the Transnet Internet. Please take care in completing all required details on the profile, and then apply for the position.
Alternative Application Methods: (Completed Curriculum Vitae to be submitted)
E-mail : NGQHumanresources@transnet.net
The closing date is on 28.02.2020. It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that HR has received the application before the closing date of the advertisement.
Note: if you have not been contacted within 30 days of the closing date of this advertisement please consider your
application as unsuccessful.
Any questions regarding the application or recruitment process should be sent in writing to
We urge all our employees, clients, members of the public and our suppliers to report any kind of fraud or corruption at Transnet. Call the hotline toll free number: 0800 003 056 or email Transnet@tip-offs.com
Operating Division : Transnet NPA
Position Title : General Worker – Sand Bypass
Employee Group : Permanent
Department : Infrastructure
Location : Ngqura
Reporting To : Deputy Port Engineer
Grade Level : L2
Reference Number : 10166584
- To provide support service to technical staff regarding the maintenance repairs and new work services within the TNPA
- Responsible for the cleaning and housekeeping of the Sand Bypass and ensure a neat and clean environment all the time
- Performing ad hoc duties as required
infrastructure, to ensure timeous completion of tasks and ensure well maintained infrastructure.according to specifications.
- General housekeeping and ensuring a neat and clean environment all the time, including landscaping as required.
- Break concrete using a hammer, chisel and jack hammer for pipes, electrical cables and ducts.
- Lifting, carrying, moving, loading, off-loading equipment, tools and materials.
- Rock removal and beach cleaning to prevent damage to pumps.
- Trench excavations, general excavations and backfill of material.
- High pressure cleaning, including marine growth removal, of the jetty, jetty pipes, jet pumps, sand bypass equipment,
external and internal walls of the settling tank, and all other areas where high pressure cleaning is required.
- Clean drum screen and the inside of the settling tank.
- Apply corrosion protection to drum screen, in the settling tank, jetty pumps, pump components, GSPs, jetty pipelines, and all
other components, equipment and areas where corrosion protection is required.
- Enter confined spaces namely caissons and settling tanks to remove marine growth.
- Maintain and clean work areas, equipment and tools.
- Paint bracket fittings, valves and electric motors, jetty pipes, and all other areas where painting is required.
- Assist with general work at other depots as and when required.
- Sand blast pump motors and brackets.
- Remove, disassemble, inspect, assemble, replace, install, align and adjust as required: bellows, jet pumps, booster pumps,
actuators, motors, drum screen, drum screen chains, trunnion wheels, axial restraining rods, pipe elbows, brackets, hard piping, manifolds, elephant hoses, dredging pipes, intake nozzles, diffusers, air valves, and all other mechanical components of the sand bypass as required.
- Remove, disassemble, inspect, assemble, replace, install, align, adjust, disconnect and connect as required: electrical
- Use electrical hand tools namely drilling machines, grinders and compressors and all other electrical hand tools as required.
- Remove locks, hinges, covers, damaged doors, frames, windows, fencing, basins, pegs, handles, covers, skirting, vents and
cables, actuators, motors, lights, ARVs, and all other electrical components of the sand bypass as required.Civiltraps.
- Paint walls and ceilings and all other areas and components as required.
- Open blocked drains and traps.
Qualifications & Experience:
Qualifications & Experience:
- Grade 10 (Standard 8)
- 6 months relative experience
- Mentally fit
- Physically fit
- Alert and have excellent eyesight and good hearing.
- Safety and risk conscious
- Passion for achieving results
- Personal drive and integrity
- Capability to cultivate productive working relationships
- Rule following
- Dependable and reliable
- Knowledge on basic mechanical and electrical engineering equipment, hand tools, materials.
- Knowledge on safety, first – aid and fire fighting.
- Safe working procedures.
- Communication skills
- Planning and organisation skills
- Leadership skills
- Basic Computer skills