Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) invites applications for Chemical Engineering Internship programme 2018 / 2019.
Internship Application deadline is 31 December 2017
Internship Provider: Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR)
Internship Location: Pretoria
The CSIR has Internship opportunities in the National Centre for Nanostructured Materials area within the Material Science and Manufacturing Unit. The purpose of the Internship is to equip newly graduates with practical work experience and provide them with exposure to different research projects. These positions are based in Pretoria.
For more info about DST-CSIR National Centre for Nano-structured Materials; please visit: https://www.csirnano.co.za
Under supervision, the interns will be required to be involved in the following research projects:
- Perform clay / nano additives: chemical processing involving manufacturing of nano-structures and scaling-up for various applications;
- Perform polymer nanocomposites: polymer processing and material characterization;
- Conduct literature searches for research projects;
- Conduct experimental work in the laboratory for research projects;
- Assist with the operation of equipment in the chemical plant in a very safe and environmentally friendly manner (training will be provided);
- Assist with characterisation of products/materials (e.g. SEM, XRD, TGA, etc.;
- Compile reports and other project related documents;
- Assist with thorough housekeeping of labs and scaling-up plants;
- Assist with the development of standard operating procedures (SOPs);
- Ensure that all the safety devices installed on the autoclave reactor and that they are operational.
Qualifications, skills and experience:
- A National diploma, Bachelor’s degree or an Honours degree in chemical engineering
- Research and report-writing skills;
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint);
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
- The ability to multi-task, and to perform consistently under pressure;
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Any experience of the following will be an advantage:
- Research in nano materials, clay/nano additives synthesis.
- Industrial experience in chemical plant operation,
- Expertise in hands-on running of characterization equipment, either electron microscopy (SEM, TEM), x-ray instruments (XRD), optical instruments (FTIR, PL, etc.), or polymer characterization instruments (TGA, DMA, DSC, Rheometry etc).
How to Apply
PLEASE NOTE THAT FEEDBACK WILL BE GIVEN TO SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES ONLY.
For more info, please contact the CSIR Recruitment Centre on 012 841 4774 or email us at Recruitmentinfo@csir.co.za