Recruiting and retaining high-quality medical professionals is fundamental to Mediclinic Southern Africa’s sustainability.
Learn from experts in the field of medical care! Mediclinic’s training and development function is registered as a Private Higher Education Institution and offers a three-year Diploma in Operating Department Assistance to teach learners how to prepare the operating theatre and equipment, assist with anaesthetics, post-operative care, surgery and other procedures and acquire the skills needed to care for and maintain equipment.
On completion of the programme, the learner will be able to work in the theatres as an Operating Department Assistant. The learner will however not be eligible to register at any of the existing professional councils. For this intake formal programmes will commence in January 2019. Successful applicants will be employed by Mediclinic, which funds the programme. Learners are only responsible for the cost of any prescribed and recommended books.
The programme is available at the following registered learning centres:
- Sandton (Johannesburg)
- Bellville (Western Cape)
- RSA Citizen
- Grade 12 with admission to a diploma or equivalent with an average of 50%
- Old senior certificate: D-aggregate (950 marks)
- Mathematical literacy on NQF Level 4 (min 50%) or Mathematics at NQF Level 4 (min 40%)
- Any science on NQF Level 4 (min 40%)
- English at NQF Level 4 (min 40%)
- Payment of a non-refundable application fee of R200
- Recognition of prior learning based on criterion-referenced assessment for learners with healthcare-related experience, if applicable
- Successful applicants will also undergo psychometric assessment, an interview and health assessment.
- You may have to travel to the nearest approved learning centre for theoretical instruction
- Formal programmes will commence according to Mediclinic hospital needs and vacancies and placement is not guaranteed.
- If you have completed your senior certificate/ Grade 12 in another country you need to provide us with a SAQA letter stating that your senior certificate/Grade 12 is equivalent.
- All instructions will be in English
- No incomplete applications will be processed.
How to apply
Applications close on 30 June 2018. Click here to apply online